Friday 20 June 2008

Mapstraction.com

One thing that I have always loved is maps. I can look at maps, plans, charts, schematics for hours. I think that it's something that I inherited from my dad.

It is for this reason that I love things like:-

  • Google Maps (sorry non-UK users, that's a link to the UK version)
  • Multimap (I love them particularly because you can get Ordnance Survey maps)
  • Microsoft Maps, because you can get oblique aerial views, which are fascinating...
As a part-time (* when work gets too dull!) web programmer, I am frustrated by the differences between them. Doing the same thing in slightly different ways... yuk.

If you are in the same situation, have a look at Mapstraction. As the name suggests, it's an abstraction layer, enabling you to use a whole pile of different maps using the same javascript code. Pretty nifty.

They seem to be having a few problems with the demos in IE at the moment (why use IE anyway, it's a royal pain!); however, I love the idea.

No comments: